The course has been designed to reflect the needs of professional commercial organisations operating in this industry. It focuses on developing your practical skills to a high level and you will undertake your physical dance training in Shockout Arts’ high-standard industry-approved dance studios. Additionally, your studies of specialist subject areas will be underpinned by knowledge and understanding of the key concepts needed for an all-round appreciation of commercial dance in a professional context.
You will acquire a thorough grounding in Ballet, Jazz, Contemporary and Commercial dance, while developing the knowledge and skills needed for a career in a variety of exciting and demanding professions in this industry.
Shockout Arts has longstanding links with organisations and employers in the performing arts industry throughout the United Kingdom and internationally. The programme is designed to address the current and future needs of such employers, and to enhance your lifelong career prospects as a professional commercial dancer.
Shockout Arts’ tutors enjoy a well deserved reputation for being approachable and interested in their students’ progress. As a student on the BA (Hons) with Foundation Year in Professional and Commercial Dance programme you are assured individual support and guidance at every stage.
Shockout Arts facilities: All lessons take place at Studio 25 Manchester City Centre, Manchester, M4 1PE, We are located on Church Street where we have seven industry standard studios, a library, changing room facilities, a canteen, student area and Wi-Fi.
There may be additional costs associated with this course for equipment such as dance clothing, and optional/residential trips.
Academic Skills 1
Performing Arts Techniques
Academic Skills 2
Introduction to Professional Practice
Introduction to Commercial Dance
Core Techniques 1
Musical theatre 1
Musical Theatre 2
Core Techniques 2
Contextual Studies 2
Professional and Commercial Showcase
Professional Practice and Self Promotion
Research in Context
Advanced Technical Studies
48 UCAS points from at least one, but preferably two, A2-levels (or equivalent such as BTEC or HND) and experience of dance is preferred.
You will be required to attend an audition as part of the application process. The quality of the audition is the primary basis on which applicants, with at least the minimum entry requirements, are selected. There is an audition charge of £45 per applicant for 2019 entry to the programme, payable directly to Shockout Arts at the audition. The audition fee is non refundable.
How to Apply
- Download, fill out and re upload the Online Application, along with a photo of yourself in the section below
- Click the pay your audition fee button and pay for your audition
- After your Application is received you will be sent an email and be allocated an audition date, along with what you need to prepare for the audition day
- Confirm your audition date
- Attend your confirmed audition date
- You should then apply through UCAS using codes: please note you make your ucas application to the University of Bolton and not Shockout.
- You will receive a letter offering you a conditional or unconditional offer
- You must then confirm or reject your place. If you accept you will be sent Terms and Conditions and be required to pay a registration fee of £275
To see more on our terms and conditions please see below our Polices and procedures.
Shockout Arts Policies and Procedures 2018-2019